Material Handling Systems – Cathay Pacific Cargo Terminal Project
The Cargo Handling Terminal occupies a site area of approximately 10 ha at the Hong Kong International Airport. The terminal is one of the world’s largest and most advanced Air Cargo Terminals and is equipped with a state-of-the-art Materials Handling System (MHS) that can handle an annual air cargo throughput capacity of 2.6 million tonnes.
Siemens was contracted to provide a complete turnkey Material Handling System (MHS) including storage and conveying systems as well as automation solutions and electrical equipment. The intelligent and highly automated Siemens systems were designed to maximise the usage of the site area and provide a high land-use efficiency of more than 25 tonnes per square metre.
Aspect Asia’s Involvement
Aspect Asia was appointed to provide contract management and commercial support to the incumbent Client team on a long-term site based secondment for a period in excess of two years.
Activities undertaken by Aspect Asia, included:
- A detailed review of the Sub-Contract to identify risks and opportunities;
- Developing a strategy to identify and maintain entitlement;
- Preparation of claims for EOT and additional payment for each Section of the Project (Sections 1 to 5);
- Preparation of contractual correspondence with the Main Contractor and Sub-Contractors;
- Preparation of key presentations to assist with commercial negotiations with the Main Contractor;
- Liaising with Siemens’ appointed lawyers in order to formulate a position on contentious matters;
- Assistance with final account settlement strategies to conclude all commercial negotiations with the Main Contractor and Sub-Contractors;
- Assistance with the preparation of Supplemental Agreements with the Main Contractor and Sub-Contractors;
- Preparation of Statements of Claim for Adjudication with Main Contractor;
- Assistance with preparations for Arbitration with Sub-Contractor;
- Drafting of appropriately worded settlement agreements.
Aspect Asia’s long-term support to Siemens throughout the duration of the Sub-Contract enabled a satisfactory commercial settlement to be achieved following protracted and difficult final account negotiations.