Construction Begins on the World’s Largest Passenger Airport Terminal in Beijing
Occupying a site of 27.9 hectares, the second airport to be built in Beijing will house the largest airport terminal in the world, covering a total GFA of 1.03 million m2. The three main components of the new airport are:
- A passenger terminal;
- A transportation interchange; and
- A mixed use service building and carpark building.
The location of the airport is the north bank of Yongding River in Daxing District which is approximately 68 km from the existing Beijing International Airport and approximately 46 km from Tiananmen Square.
Key features of the new airport are listed below:
- It will have 4 No. runways;
- It will handle 72 million passengers annually;
- It will handle 620,000 flights annually; and
- It is anticipated that Phase 1 of the new airport will be completed and operational in 2025.